Thursday, August 21, 2014

An Ice Cream Scoop


I recently bought a wood handled ice cream scoop that we absolutely love!  It even came in it's original, crumbly, falling apart box.  The Gilchrist Company made scoops for ice cream parlors and consumers in the early 1900's and used the logo, "Better Than Need Be Goods."  Apparently, the quality was so good that it has made their value as collectables rather low since they are still in abundance in the marketplace!  Which is happy for us as we can find one and use it without worrying a bit about preserving it.  In fact, I didn't even keep the box as I have no intention of getting rid of it.



I recently realized that I have a collection that I never even realized that I was collecting! Apparently, I have a soft spot for wooden handled kitchen utensils.  Actually, very few of these were purchased by me.  Many/most of them were given to me from my mother-in-law who got them from banks/stores in Iowa!  Apparently, banks used to give out these wood handled utensils as a thank you to new or loyal customers.  What's wonderful about them is that they are such good quality items (many were made in Japan).  You just can't beat something that looks good, feels good and gets the job done.


Time and again these are the utensils I reach for, in fact the long handled spoon on the left is one that I use every single day while cooking dinner!


P.S.  The toffee ice cream that is in the scoop above was declared by Harris as "the best ice cream I've ever had."  I got the recipe from  "Ample Hills Creamery: Secrets and Stories From Brooklyn's Favorite Ice Cream Shop."

2 comments:

  1. I really wish I could just magically beam you here when I need to find something extra special! You have an amazing eye for good taste!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips