I've realized I don't have the words to really describe all my feelings about this milestone birthday. Nor can I do an adequate job describing Grace and all her many layers. So instead, I'll carry on with our annual top 10...
1. She's still a Daddy's girl. She will talk with Bryce about anything and everything.
2. Grace continues to take ballet 4 days a week. She's quite good.
3. Several years ago, Grace coined a phrase "frousky" to mean that someone was grumpy or unhappy in the family. Somehow it stuck and now that's our key phrase in describing someone's mood when they aren't happy.
4. Grace can facilitate between ecstatic, frousky (see above) and sad all within 5 seconds. We call it her pterodactyl mode. She doesn't care for the pterodactyl description and is lobbying for it to instead be called "drama llama" mode. I will agree that that is cuter.
5. Grace tends more towards being an introvert. I'm trying to be mindful of this while also remembering that this age craves friendships and social connections.
6. She loves to sleep in, wear her "comfy" clothes and listen to her music, which often includes 80's hits.
7. She is still an adventure loving girl who is super comfy in hiking boots and her zip off pants but she is also most certainly showing an interest in a little more fashion forward clothes and accessories.
8. She doesn't like to play games with people nor does she beat around the bush. She also doesn't have a lot of patience for people who do. She is a rule follower but also very independent. She has a strong moral compass.
9. She loves to read. However, she's straddling that line between "children's books" and "young adult" books. She recently stopped reading two young adult books because she felt they were inappropriate for her!
10. She thinks she wants to be a traveling adventure writer when she grows up.
We love you Grace! Happy Birthday.